I am experienced in writing for such formats as books, journal and magazine articles, museum exhibitions, newspaper columns, tour scripts, and website content, and can provide paid writing services if you are looking for an author for your history-related projects.
Please contact me if you wish to discuss your project requirements.
0432 554470 (business hours only)
The following is a selection of my completed work:
Books and Booklets
- A Pit of Shame: The executed prisoners of Boggo Road (2005, second edition 2010)
- Last Prison Standing: A short history of Boggo Road’s No.2 Division 1903-1989 (2005)
- The Houdini of Boggo Road: The Life and Escapades of Slim Halliday (2005)
- Escaping Boggo Road (2005)
- The Prisoners of Toowong Cemetery: Life, Death & the old Petrie Terrace Gaol (2006)
- Absolute Fairyland: Heady Days in Dutton Park (2006)
- The Illustrated Boggo Road Dictionary of Prison Language, Slang, & Flash (2007)
- Boggo Road Heritage Walk (2007)
- Dirty Dozen: Hanging & the Moreton Bay Convicts (2007)
- The One & Only Boggo Road: The history of a unique suburban street (2008)
- Rock of Ages: South Brisbane Cemetery Symbolism (2008) (with T Olivieri)
- Intemperance & the Train of Evils: Life on the wrong side of the tracks in colonial Brisbane (2008)
- The Hanging at the Brisbane Windmill (2009)
- Brisbane Beginnings #1: Dutton Park (2009) (with T Olivieri)
- Shovelnose: Tales of the Brisbane River sharks (2009)
- That Gingerbread Structure: The trials and tribulations of the Queen Street gaol (2010)
- No Ordinary Run of Men: The Queensland executioners (2010)
- Brisbane Beginnings #2: Fairfield (2010) (with T Olivieri)
- Shivs, Bongs & Boob Guns: Made in a Queensland prison cell (2010)
- Swinging in the Sixties: Hanging around colonial Queensland (2011)
- In Heavenly Garb: Headstones of the Ipswich General Cemetery (2012) ( with T Olivieri)
Articles and columns
- ‘The Dead Outside the Fence: Burying executed prisoners in Brisbane, 1830-1913’, Queensland History Journal vol. 20, no.8 (November 2008), Royal Historical Society of Queensland.
- ‘What’s in a name? The rise, fall and comeback of Boggo’, Queensland History Journal, Volume 21, no. 4, November 2011.
- 'South Brisbane Cemetery', Trust News, Autumn 2012, National Trust of Queensland, 2012.
- 'Voracious monsters: People, sharks and the Brisbane River', Queensland History Journal vol. 21, no.10 (August 2012), Royal Historical Society of Queensland.
- 'The Evolution of Execution in Queensland', Queensland History Journal vol. 22, no. 3 (November 2013), Royal Historical Society of Queensland.
- '1884-1904' (book chapter), Dutton Park State School 2009 to 1884: A Journey (2009)
- 'The Fair Fields of Fairfield', Stories of Stephens: A History of Annerley and the Surrounding Suburbs, Annerley-Stephens History Group, 2017.
- 'Stone walls do a prison make: law on the landscape', Queensland Historical Atlas, 2011.
- Individual site information, Mapping Brisbane History
- 'A Thoroughly Modern Hanging', essay for the Queensland Supreme Court exhibition Path to Abolition: A History of Execution in Queensland, June 2014.
Exhibitions and displays
- 'The Gallows of Boggo Road', Boggo Road Gaol Museum, Brisbane, 2005
- 'Life in Boggo', Boggo Road Gaol Museum, Brisbane, 2005
- '100 Not Out: A century of escapes from Boggo Road', Boggo Road Gaol Museum, Brisbane, 2003
- 'Clink Ink', Anthropology Museum, University of Queensland, St Lucia, 2002